[plumi-discuss] Ecommerce for Plumi using GetPaid

anna at engagemedia.org anna at engagemedia.org
Fri Jan 16 11:07:10 EST 2009

Hey Suno,

Thanks for the round-up :)

I think this ticket:
http://plumi.org/ticket/153
currently relates to (3) where the site owners are not involved in the
transaction between sellers and buyers. It was meant to be a very simple
first implementation of a donations system - where a user's paypal
account would be listed in their Author object. Money would not flow
through the site itself, but be PayPal transactions directly between
"sellers" and "buyers" - or "producers" and "supporters". Would using
PloneGetPaid enable the site-owners to take a cut during the
transaction? This could be useful.

I think #72 was closed (invalid) as it was considered a duplicate, but
actually differs from #153 as it was trying to differentiate between
donations for *upcoming* productions, rather than pay-to-view videos
that have already been posted to the site, or just general donations. It
was meant to be a way to raise revenue for productions you are working
on currently. I re-opened the ticket and made this distinction more
explicit. Actually I just renamed it "Fundraising".

This ticket:
http://plumi.org/ticket/74
it occurs to me may actually be complicated in terms of running a
video-sharing site.. for example, as site-owners of EngageMedia.org for
example, we would not be able to give any guarantees to users that the
sellers would actually provide the goods, if this was happening in a
distributed fashion, so developing trust in the system may be difficult?
I'm not sure. I suppose it would be more workable for those running a
Plumi site, and also coordinating the distribution of that content on
DVD/VCD.

Of course we can re-configure these feature requests :) Would be good to
discuss the various use-cases some more.

It does sound like Plone GetPaid could do many of these things - it
would be great to see a demo in action, to see how it would work with
Plumi. We are going to try to release an alpha of Plumi 0.3 for Plone
3.x next week - would you be interested in working on integration of
GetPaid into Plumi once this alpha is out? What would you need in terms
of support/access from us if so?

Cheers,
Anna